- PonyProg - free and solid
AVR-PG1 is the most simple and inexpensive AVR programmer on the market. It works with the great free AVR programming software made by Claudio Lanconelli - the Pony Prog you can always look at the list of the supported devices on this link as it grows every month.
- connects to PC via RS232 port (note it will not work with USB-RS232 converters!)
- no need for external power supply as it takes the power supply from target board.
- uses Atmel's 2x5 pin ICSP connector layout
- dimensions 45x30 mm (1.7x1.2") + 20 cm (8") cable